I recently completed the Bible study Desiring God’s Own Heart by Kay Arthur. This study is being taught in the women’s Sunday school class at my church, and is part of The New Inductive Study Series. It covers the Old Testament books of 1 & 2 Samuel and 1 Chronicles. Sadly, I don’t think I had ever really read these books before.
I love inductive Bible study, because it is the best way for me to not only retain what I learn, but also to apply the lessons to my life. Part of the study requires identifying a theme for each chapter. There are 31 themes listed below, corresponding to the 31 chapters in 1 Samuel. I will post lessons from 2 Samuel and 1 Chronicles separately.
1. God sees our suffering and hears our prayers.
2. The LORD exalts the humble and judges the proud.
3. The LORD reveals Himself to whom and when He chooses.
4. God is holy.
5. God punishes the wicked.
6. God accomplishes His purpose.
7. God blesses obedience.
8. God desires to be King over his people.
9.God chooses His servants.
10. God gives us the desires of our hearts.
11. Servant leadership reflects God’s character.
12. Consider what great things God has done for me.
13. Obey God completely.
14. God does not bless partial obedience.
15. Obey God fully and take responsibility for my sin.
16. God looks at my heart.
17. The battle is the LORD’s.
18. The LORD will make me prosper – the LORD is with me.
19. God’s plans cannot be thwarted.
20. The LORD blesses godly friendships.
21. God protects His own.
22. Sin leads to further acts of sinful desperation.
23. God is my Rock of Escape.
24. Even the enemies of the righteous will praise them.
25. The LORD is the One who rightly repays the wicked.
26. The LORD rewards restraint.
27. Inquire of the Lord before deciding or acting.
28. Faith does not act out of fear.
29. God protects His own.
30. God punishes the sins of His people – but also shows mercy to bring about repentance.
31. The LORD will bring about His sovereign will, whether I accept it or resist it.
Which theme resonates most with you?