The book of 1 Chronicles is not exactly easy reading, but it parallels portions of 1 and 2 Samuel, so it is incorporated in the Desiring God’s Own Heart Bible study. There are lots of genealogies and lists of tribes and clans that were assigned to specific service within Israel. Studying 1 Chronicles with 1 and 2 Samuel helps put the book into clearer context.
Twenty-nine lessons from the 29 chapters of 1 Chronicles:
1. God is faithful through the generations of His chosen people.
2. God works through godly generations.
3. God works in spite of ungodly heritage.
4. Jabez honored God, and he was honored in the record. This is what Scripture says about him: “Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, ‘Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.’ And God granted his request.”
5. Disobedience brings discipline.
6. Service in the Lord’s house is an honor and a blessing.
7. Mighty men of valor, even from the lesser known tribes, are warriors for the Lord.
8. The sons of God are mighty men of valor.
9. Temple work was tedious, but sacred — house work is also tedious, but sacred.
10. God must punish sin.
11. The work of my hands will increase when “the Lord is with me.”
12. Godly leadership brings godly help.
13. God must be honored in His own way/Ignorance is not an excuse for disobedience.
14. The Lord blesses His servants.
15. Prepare for service by reading God’s Word.
16. Worship God with joy and praise.
17. Praise God – even if He has a different plan than mine.
18. God gives the victory.
19. The enemies of God will be defeated.
20. The Lord gives victory over the giants in my life.
21. Even the mighty are vulnerable to temptation.
22. Doing the Lord’s work requires careful preparation.
23. The Lord God has given rest to His people.
24. Temple (church) service is organized and serious work.
25. Praise the Lord with music.
26. Even the temple gatekeepers were listed by name — all service to the Lord is important.
27. The Lord multiplies His people.
28. Follow God and teach your children to as well.
29. Leave a legacy of godly faithfulness.
Which lessons resonate most with you?